Saturday, October 21, 2017

"Short"

This next chapter, chapter two of The Socially Networked Classroom, really hit me personally.  In my first discussion of the fall semester in my Digital Learning Environments class, I was asked to define what I think of instructional technology as it applies to Digital Learning.  Well, I took this time to go on a tirade about how little my district cares about technology and, to quote myself, " When I see my fellow teachers from other districts speaking of how each student has a chromebook or iPad, I cannot help but feel envious that their district is so accepting and welcoming of technology."  

I realize now that I missed the point of the discussion, and this hiccup in my thinking of instructional technology was brought back into the spotlight by chapter 2 of the Socially Networked Classroom in the first paragraph:

"Some teachers work in schools with very little technology.  And some teachers work in schools that have lots of technology but choose not to use that technology, whether because they are too busy to learn something new or just fearful" (p. 11).  The author speaks of how, even though she talked the talk when it came to being a new literacies teacher, she didn't "walk the walk" and had a hard time implementing technology herself in professional development.  The article discusses different activities to social network in a classroom without much access to technology, including the use of literacy circles.  It discusses how blogs are an easy way to get students writing and using technology without the expenses of tablets or other mobile devices.  Most classrooms have at least a couple of computers that students can use to collaborate as a group on assignments in a digital environment. 

Chapter 2 made me think of ways that I currently utilize technology in my classroom, as well as possibilities for future integration.  I have one kindle per table group.  I could give students a topic with, say, math and have them create a collaborative blog post.  I currently use kindles for group quizzes where students work together in a fast paced environment to answer questions. 

My thinking about technology integration has definitely changed since that initial post.  I've learned that it's about the quality of instructional technology, not the quantity of resources you have, that make a successful technology-integrated assignment or lesson.  

4 comments:

  1. I understand your frustration and envious I to come from a district where technology is on limited supply and some of my teacher friends have a whole Chromebook to themselves. I like how the author show ways to utilize technology in the classroom on other hand I feel they are mainly for upper grade . I teach 3rd grade and the lesson given I would have to work with them to be successful in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you stated that "it's about the quality of instructional technology, not the quantity of resources" and I would add the multitude of applications. As educators we need to become proficient in one form of educational technology implement that to the fullest in our classrooms. When we get distracted by hundreds of different softwares, apps, etc. we begin to loose the "power" technology provides in the classroom and become lost. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quality over quantity is in my opinion, the most important in many things. I come from a district who is trying to reach higher technology in the classroom, but is not there yet. We struggle to reserve the laptops so that we can use them in class. At the end of the year they had setup the students emails and it was fantastic! The students were able to work together on powerpoints at home. I wished I'd had more time to use the tools available to me, but it was at the end of the year and time for testing and special events.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Social media can be beneficial for students when they are in school because they can focus more effectively with having the surroundings of advanced technology. Some students that have smart boards and more updated tools throughout the classroom tend to not go on their phone as much during class.

    ReplyDelete

Week 15- Looking ahead, closing thoughts

Here I begin my final blog posting of my graduate studies.  This internship has been one that has pushed me to do things that I otherwise wo...