Saturday, October 28, 2017

Tall and Grande


“Tall”

 This particular chapter stood out to me because of some changes going on at our school.  This week, Youtube.com became unblocked so that students could now access it from school computers.  At the same time, we are currently looking into a possible security breach in our email system, so I am currently seeing both a tightening, but at the same time a loosening, of filtering and blocking that is described in this chapter. I liked the idea of “Zoey’s Room” being utilized to give students a safe place to chat about subjects related to STEM.  The chapter describes how important for “Zoey’s Room” to be “safe for participants, even using a third party vendor to verify any registrant’s identification” (p. 50).
 I also liked how the chapter focused on a rubric for blogging assignments.  It was discussed earlier in the course the lack of rubrics available for critiquing websites and other virtual communities, and with the rise of blog usage in the classroom, it is ever more important to use a rubric.  According to the chapter, “the quality of the discussions is better when the blogging system is in place” (p. 57).  Having set criteria and expectations leads to more purposeful posts.
 

“Grande”

 This chapter goes from focusing on the more restricted use of the internet to a more loosened grip on students’ and their use of the internet and blogs.  However, instead of turning students loose into the world of free blogging, it is important for educators to set “guidelines” for blogging that go beyond “netiquette” and into more of the reality that is being part of a blog of international bloggers (p. 72-73).  The chapter also speaks of the importance of students becoming “discerning internet readers” and becoming more tactical in how they share their information with others so that it may be accessed and added to (p. 79). 

3 comments:

  1. Behaviorism and Constructivism learning psychology are based on the proposition that all things which nature in its environment do — including acting, thinking and feeling—can and should be regarded as behaviors. The similarities of both learning methods attempt to explain the actions in the learning environment. They observe the responses of the student makes to different situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed chapter three especially, as my school is also in the process of implementing some new technology and therefore are dealing with some of the same issues that were discussed. I do believe it is extremely important for a school, let alone a teacher, to have a management plan for students using technology in the classroom. The risks that await the school or teacher that does not properly implement a "safety net" or some form of monitoring is unimaginable. This is one major concern for many teachers who are hesitant of implementing technology into their classrooms, but there are ways and techniques that allow for some form of monitoring or a "guided focus" for the students. This is key if technology is fully going to be accepted and excel in the majority of our education system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true Ryan! Lessons that I did that incorporated technology, I had to set ground rules and be diligent in my monitoring. Sometimes I'd have time to check computers before my students used them and I'd find that other teachers were not so observant and students had deviated from their assignment onto inappropriate sites or game sites, I would monitor the surfing history.

    ReplyDelete

Week 15- Looking ahead, closing thoughts

Here I begin my final blog posting of my graduate studies.  This internship has been one that has pushed me to do things that I otherwise wo...