Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Cognitive Learning Theory


Chapter four of our readings discusses the cognitive school of thought, which consists of two important ideas that help us "understand how people learn and remember: information processing and meaningful learning" (p. 86).  Cognitivists try to understand how learning happens and how information goes from short term memory to long term memory.   So how does the cognitivist theory relate to technology integration?  

  I enjoyed reading about how to get learners to pay attention and focus on content.  In my classroom, while we complete quite a bit of group work, I do have a direct teach piece where students are asked to listen and follow along.  I am constantly finding ways to engage my students throughout the day to avoid them "checking out".  

According to Coombs & Bhattacharya (2017), "A smart learning environment is dynamic, active and adaptive to the learners needs whilst relative to the process of achieving the desired learning outcomes associated with an overt curriculum task" (p. 308).  I try to provide my students with a learning environment that is ever changing, never boring, but also highly structured. I utilize a powerpoint during my lesson and alternate between it and projecting my information using a document camera.  I believe this combination of technology helps keep my information from becoming static and risking "check-out" from my students.  I also make sure to have students discuss critical thinking questions to break up the lesson as well. 

One way that I break up the school day is through Brain Breaks using the website GoNoodle.  Averaging about 2-3 minutes in length, I have the students stand up, participate with the short video, and then sit back down to continue working.  I believe this helps them regain their focus so that they can continue to learn.   

I also make sure to schedule activities that require much mental effort in the morning.  When students first come to me they have math and language arts. After lunch comes intervention then social studies and science.  This schedule tends to work out well since my students' favorite subject is science.  I am sure to integrate technology such as my Mimio to give my students a different, novel approach to learning.  

The text also mentions "To forestall forgetting new information, we must manipulate it or, as cognitive scientists say, engage in active 'rehearsals' with it" and "reviewing information fixes it more firmly" (p. 89).  I have students complete time math fluency sheets daily to improve their math facts.  I also have students participate in Reflex Math, a drill and practice program for learning mathfacts and improving fluency.  According to Coombs & Bhattacharya (2017), "digital tools that assist such higher-order internalized critical thinking and learning can also be described as a learning and knowledge technology, or, learning technologies that assist in the production of new knowledge" (p. 306).  The program is solving and has students engaging in problem solving as they navigate through different games.  By exposing students to this information daily, information is more likely to enter their short term memory and hopefully go into long term memory.  

References

Coombs, S. & Bhattacharya, M. (2017). Smart Learning requires Smart Thinking: The 
Evolution of Sustainable Learning Environments. In J. Dron & S. Mishra (Eds.), Proceedings of E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education (pp. 303-313). Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved November 8, 2017 from .

1 comment:

  1. Brain Breaks are a must and GoNoodle is awesome! We also incorporate GoNoodle into our classrooms and it is such an awesome chance for students to have a break, move around, and actually get a "brain break". Students need to have these short breaks so their brains can become reengaged. I am noticing that even secondary schools are beginning to incorporate brain breaks (maybe not by using Go Noodle), but in ways that also allow their students to pause and have a break so their brains may be "recharged". Educators as a whole are beginning to finally realize how crucial these breaks are for students cognitivism.

    ReplyDelete

Week 15- Looking ahead, closing thoughts

Here I begin my final blog posting of my graduate studies.  This internship has been one that has pushed me to do things that I otherwise wo...